What is Chapter 339/Comprehensive Guidance Plan?
- Vocational Education and Standards
- 339.31. Plan.
- “There shall be a written plan on file, approved by the local Board of School Directors, for the development and implementation of a comprehensive, sequential program of guidance services for kindergarten through 12th grade. The plan shall include procedures to provide for [the extension of] guidance services to area vocational-technical schools [that service participating school districts]. Upon request, the plan shall be submitted to the Secretary.”
- Please Click HERE to view Freedom Area School District's Approved Chapter 339 Comprehensive Guidance Plan.
What is the Purpose?
“Pennsylvania learners will be prepared for meaningful engagement in postsecondary education, in workforce training, in career pathways, and as responsible, involved citizens.”
What is the Intent?
To Address Students in Three Domains
- Academic Development-(National ASCA Standards)
- Career Development- (Pa Career Education and Work Standards)
- Personal/Social Development-(Proposed Workplace Skills)
What was the Process?
- 2017-2018 school year: The Freedom Area School District process began on September 13th, 2017 at the Beaver County Intermediate Unit. We had 4 full day training sessions with the Pennsylvania Department of Education. The Freedom Area Counseling Team scheduled 9 working sessions.
- 2018-2019 School Year: Introduction of Avoidance Career Program, had 4 training sessions. There were 2 full day training session at the BVIU and 4 working sessions at the high school.
- Showcase Presentation was March 7th At 1:30 PM At The BVIU.
- The plan was approved by the Freedom Area School Board in June 2019. The plan will need to be approved every 5 years. A copy will be given to the Beaver County Career and Technology Center.
What is Career Development and Why is it Important to Build a Comprehensive K-12 System?
- A generation of students without a career focus with numerous employment shifting and “college major hopping.”( ave.3-4 times in college career)
- Ineffectual transitioning from secondary to post-secondary and work will cost employers millions in training and re-training because the average amount of time that is spent on a first job holder is less than a year.
- Young people move through a series of “job experiments” in their early to late twenties costing employers and the young person time and money. This is extremely detrimental to the economy as well as the person.
- 21st Century Economics Realities:
- Gap Between Educational Attainment and Workforce Needs:
- Some Post-Secondary Facts:
66% of all high school graduates attempt an associate or bachelors degree immediately out of high school(Success in the New Economy).
55% of all incoming freshman drop out by the end of the freshman year(Tinto-Retention Study).
Graduation rates for four year programs stand at 28% nationally(with an average of a 5.9 year completion rate for a Bachelors Degree(Tinto-Retention Study).
Debt load for college students has risen by 300% since 2001(PHEAA).
56% of all bachelors degree students are underemployed (Success in the New Economy Video).
Strategies for Curriculum Integration of the Career Education and Work Standards:
- Using a comprehensive K-12 counseling career development delivery systemRewriting curriculum with a gap analysis and mapping tools
- Engaging all stakeholders with a team approach
- Developing portfolios for all students/Freedom is Using the Naviance Program
- Developing a system of K-12 events collaborating with business partners and intermediary organizations
- Developing and Sustaining a Career Based Graduation Project
- To make connections with the Beaver COunty Career and Technology Center K-12 with Students, parents and educators.